UBC Gender Equity & STEM Conference 2020
The UBC Gender Equity & STEM Conference 2020 is scheduled to take place virtually on Saturday, November 14th from 9:15 am to 2:45 pm. The main goal of this conference is to advance dialogue around gender inclusion and equality in STEM fields, specifically with regards to women and other gender-oppressed communities, and equip attendees with the inspiration and motivation to tackle the STEM gender gap in their own spheres. Topics will include the stigma and bias women and gender-oppressed communities face when pursuing careers and education in STEM, how these communities have made a positive impact on the world through STEM, how the gender gap in STEM can best be addressed through policy and innovation, and the societal, health and economic impacts of addressing this gap.
Featured speakers include:
- Cybele Negris, Co-Founder & CEO Webnames.ca, Canada’s Original .CA Registrar
- Dr. Anne Condon, Professor of Computer Science, UBC, previous NSERC Chairholder for Women in Science and Engineering
- Paloma Corvalan, President, Society for Canadian Women in Science and Technology (SCWIST)
- Dr. Steph van Willigenburg, Professor of Mathematics, UBC
- Dr. Mana Norouzpour, Materials Scientist, D-Wave
- Selena Wilson, Principal Project Manager, Mott MacDonald
- UBC Young Women for STEM members
The conference will encourage collaboration across disciplines and experience levels. It is open to everyone! We look forward to having STEM students, faculty, staff, and professionals of all gender identities. Attendees are invited to learn, share, and collaborate during workshops and engage with speakers during the panel and networking sessions.
Registration: REGISTER HERE
Registered attendees will be entered to win 1 of 3 Science World T-Shirts! The shirts will be mailed directly to the lucky winners.
The Zoom link will be emailed closer to the date of the event.
Additional conference details: