



**November Pipeline Agenda**

**Date & Time:** Thursday, November 23rd, 2023 12-1pm

**Zoom Link:** <https://ubc.zoom.us/j/62502794455?pwd=SVXTV01Yc083ZOVQTzNYWlhOMk5pZz09>

**Meeting ID:** 625 0279 4455

**Passcode:** 992159

**Attendance:**

<b>VP Academic</b>	Sarah Kim	<b>P</b>	<b>Year 1</b>	Chaereen Kim	<b>P</b>	Pouya Pasha	<b>P</b>	
<b>AVP Academic</b>	Mina Rim	<b>P</b>		Edwin Wen	<b>P</b>	Ryan Johnson	<b>P</b>	
<b>1<sup>st</sup> Year Rep</b>	Andrew Hall	<b>P</b>		Jenny Kang	<b>P</b>			
<b>1<sup>st</sup> Year Rep</b>	Kat Su	<b>P</b>		Mikayla Groening				
<b>1<sup>st</sup> Year Rep</b>	Susanna Zhong	<b>R</b>		Navreet Grewal	<b>P</b>			
<b>2<sup>nd</sup> Year Rep</b>	Carmela Sangalang	<b>P</b>	<b>Year 2</b>	Allison Jung	<b>P</b>	Meghan Maclaren	<b>P</b>	
<b>2<sup>nd</sup> Year Rep</b>	Jeevan Gill			Christina Feng	<b>P</b>	Natalie Wu	<b>P</b>	
<b>2<sup>nd</sup> Year Rep</b>	Sonia Plaha	<b>P</b>		Daisy Ye	<b>P</b>	Patricia Jarin	<b>P</b>	
<b>3<sup>rd</sup> Year Rep</b>	Harry Po	<b>P</b>		David Qi	<b>R</b>	Sungmin Huh	<b>P</b>	
<b>3<sup>rd</sup> Year Rep</b>	Michelle Chau	<b>P</b>		David Wang	<b>R</b>	Sunny Qin	<b>P</b>	
<b>3<sup>rd</sup> Year Rep</b>	Cristian Kwasnek	<b>P</b>		Jason Jeong	<b>P</b>	Tam Nguyen	<b>P</b>	
<b>4<sup>th</sup> Year Rep</b>	Marcus Wong	<b>P</b>		Matthew Lee	<b>P</b>	Thazin Maung	<b>R</b>	
<b>4<sup>th</sup> Year Rep</b>	Sarah Burke			<b>Year 3</b>	Alec Reyes	<b>L</b>	Michelle Kim	<b>P</b>
<b>Faculty</b>	Dr. Kerry Wilbur	<b>P</b>			Allan Ma	<b>P</b>	Mimi Nguyen	<b>P</b>
			Angel Chiang		<b>R</b>	Noah Koster		
			Brina Kim		<b>P</b>	Philip He	<b>P</b>	
			Hannah Cardle		<b>L</b>	Prita Bains		
			Jiven Basi			Ruishen Yu		
			Kaitlyn Lee			Sophia Sung	<b>P</b>	
			Maric Son		<b>L</b>	Trevor Chan	<b>P</b>	
			Mark Seo		<b>R</b>	Sanjit Bains	<b>R</b>	
			Rimsha Faisal		<b>L</b>			
			<b>Year 4</b>	Alyssa Azote	<b>R</b>	Hanbin Sung	<b>P</b>	
				Aya Al	<b>R</b>	Nghi Le		
				Bella Woroshelo	<b>P</b>	Sam Manzke	<b>P</b>	
				Celeste Giovanatti	<b>R</b>	Sara Tavoossi	<b>R</b>	
				Chris Macdonnell	<b>R</b>	Sonia Grewal	<b>R</b>	
				Grace Song		Valeria Morrison		
				Hajer Mahmood	<b>P</b>	Vivak Maingi	<b>R</b>	

P (present) | A (absent) | R (regrets) | L (late)

**Guests:**

Meeting called to order at 12:08 PM



Approval of Minutes: NA Standing Business: N/A

## Introduction

---

- **Dr. Wilbur and Sarah (VPA) to Co-Chair the Pipeline and lead discussion**
- **Mina (PhUS AVPA) will be the secretary and taking minutes**
- **Purpose of Pipeline: Liaise information and concerns between pharmacy students & faculty**
  - Our Goal: To provide an opportunity to effectively communicate areas of concern with Faculty
  - Work together to create positive change
  - Two-way street: Faculty can also initiate feedback requests
- **Pipeline Process:**
  - Official requests generated by students or faculty via google form or email
  - 2 meetings per term to discuss concerns/ideas/suggestions via Zoom
  - For meeting preparation, pipeline members consult peers (~10students/PY), and summarize concerns
  - PhUS year reps to finish summary (shared document) 1-2days prior to meeting
  - Meeting minutes will be approved via FB group chat (ideally) within 4 days of the meeting adjourned
  - Meeting minutes will be uploaded on UBC PhUS website
  - Unresolved issues will be noted in the shared document and addressed at the next meeting
  - VPA and AVPA will provide updates to pipeline members when developments for ongoing issues occur
- **PhUS Year reps have filtered through the Yearly concerns forms and will present the topic**
  - Dr. Wilbur and Year Specific Pipeline Members will have the opportunity to respond
  - If you agree with a certain concern you can feel **free to comment in chat or use the react functions**
- **General rule of thumb:**
  - Be respectful to each other
    - Dr. Wilbur and other Faculty members are here to help and provide insight to the concerns that we have, so please be kind!
  - Be collaborative, professional, engaged, and mindful of our limited time
    - Agenda items may need to be tabled for later discussion if time does not permit
  - Equity, Inclusion, Diversity. This is a SAFE SPACE!
    - Please be kind and empathetic to everyone (your peers, Dr. Wilbur, guests and other stakeholders)
    - One person speaking at a time
      - Use raise hand function on Zoom
      - Mute mic when not talking
    - Use people's preferred pronouns
  - Remember to refer people to Office of Student Services: Ms. Jennifer Chatterton is the go to for difficulties students are experiencing (Acute and Chronic, Mental, Health Conditions). Cassie Smith is our in-house Counsellor ([https://ubc.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV\\_73UWZD2PTx9DKo6](https://ubc.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_73UWZD2PTx9DKo6))
- **Attendance will be taken, send your regrets to VPA or AVPA beforehand! Questions?**



## Discussions

### 1. Follow-Ups

[click here](#)

### 2. Courses/IAs

#### a. ★ Discrepancies in CBL instructions [PY3]

- i. **Concern:** Concerns with lab instructor informing students that the PUD case quiz would last only 20 minutes, whereas it was, in fact, scheduled for 30 minutes.

**KW note:** Will follow up with IA team. Just to be clear, is one of the main issues that those extra ten minutes cut into lab time? What is the timing concern exactly?

**VP Academic:** Were told session would be 30 minutes, was given 20 minutes

**KW:** Will follow up with IA team regarding time and inconsistency in marking

**Concern:** Lack of transparency and clarification regarding the specific scaling process for the quiz

**KW note:** Will follow up with IA team.

- ii. **Possible Solution:** Inform students of how the quiz was scaled (if it was scaled)

#### b. ★ No recording for ONC11 and ONC15 [PY3]

- i. **concern:** No recordings available for ONC11 and ONC15. The concern is that while students would prefer attending lectures in person, various external factors, such as commuting and upcoming exams, often hinder their ability to do so. ONC11 takes place before a quiz, causing stress for many students who were disappointed by the absence of a recording. Recordings are crucial for reviewing lecture material and serve as evidence when students claim not to have covered certain topics, despite the instructor addressing them in class.
- ii. **possible solution:** provide recording for lectures.

**KW note:** We have a program policy that instructors can opt out of lecture capture. The instructors for these sessions have done so.

**VP:** ONC11 did not give heads up regarding opt-out of lecture capture

**KW:** Was aware that two instructors opted out of 3 sessions - lecture capture status (if there will be no recording) for students should be available in advance on Canvas page related to the specific session. Cannot force instructors to opt-in.

**PY3:** Will previous year async lectures be available?

**VP:** Feasibility of sending out announcements to students regarding upcoming lectures with opt-out lectures?

**PY3:** Announcement was sent out 1.5h before lecture session (ONC11) - would prefer to receive earlier to accommodate time for transit (e.g. ONC15 was mentioned during IA)

**PY3:** Will follow up with Dr. Neelam regarding archived asynchronous content

**KW update (Nov 27):** Unfortunately, I understand recorded (asynchronous) content from Winter Term 1 2022 is actually unavailable (deleted by OETLD according to the lecture capture retention practices). I'm not sure why the instructor nominated their recording from last year, but declined to have their updated lecture recorded this year?

#### c. Group project collaboration [PY1]

- i. **Concern:** Group members not contributing equally for assignments causing stress. Informed by IA leads that there is nothing that can be done
- ii. **Possible solution:** Implement peer evaluation with making adjustments as necessary

**KW note:** Did students ask IA team is peer-evaluation was something they would consider? Is this not paradoxically adding to assessment/workload burden on students? Let me know and I can take back to IA team.

**PY1:** Some groups have members not attending meetings/meeting deadlines/contributing

**PY1:** Groups affected did contact IA team, they said nothing can be done

**KW:** Was the idea of peer-evaluation also mentioned to IA team? How do students feel about peer-evaluation being another assessment/work to do? KW will follow-up with IA team/s.

**PY1:** A quick 2-minute survey could be implemented, then the facilitator may have to adjust marks based on feedback

**PY1:** Regardless of consequences, implementing peer evaluation would encourage participation



**PY1:** Peer eval would be a way for instructors to see concerns of students. Does not necessarily have to be for evaluation. On the student end, knowing there is evaluation would encourage participation

**VP:** May be applicable for future years

**d. ★Unable to reschedule for missed IAs and overall feeling unsupported by IA team [PY2]**

- i. Concern:** New IA policy prevents students from rescheduling under any circumstances.
  - 1. Students may miss sessions for reasons that can't always be rescheduled
  - 2. Rigid policies do not improve the student experience and cause gaps in learning
- ii. Possible solution:** Give option for rescheduling if changes are requested reasonably in advance (2-4 weeks).
  - 1. Suggest students take responsibility for seeking alternative session details, with the IA team handling the recording of changes

**KW note:** The logistics and workload of rescheduling had become unsustainable for our teams and drawing resources away from other course/lab work and contributing to decreased well being and burn out of faculty and staff (which is also something we need to monitor in our program). There are no changes forthcoming in this academic year but can revisit if we have additional resources given to the program courses. -> can be revisited if there is significant amount of feedback from students

**e. ★Makeup assignment for missing an IA session [PY2]**

- i. Concern 1:** Students who missed the recent evidence appraisal IA session were required to do a last minute makeup assignment despite the fact that the IA session did not have a graded assignment attached to it. There were concerns with this because the IA team stated that students can miss a certain number of IA sessions without any repercussions in order to prioritize health and mental well-being.
  - 1. Found it unfair that students had valid reasons for missing IA (sickness) but they had to be "punished"
- ii. Concern 2:** Discrepancies between communication from faculty - One faculty member clarified there are no consequences for not submitting the make-up assignment, however another faculty member later emailed that they must submit the make-up assignment for their IA grade to be finalized
  - 1. This instills fear in students who are already under a lot of stress in the program
- iii. Possible solution:** Clarify expectations about missing IA and avoid last minute make-up assignments with no clear reasoning
  - 1. Students are experiencing burnout by this time in the term
  - 2. Could also be offered only as a supplementary makeup assignment for those who are interested in additional evidence appraisal practice and would like to receive feedback

**KW note:** I am familiar with this situation and the unfortunate miscommunication. As written by Dr. Fong though, instructors do have the discretion to assign a make-up exercise for students who have been granted concession - these will never be eliminated from the program/UBC. I am in agreement that, instructors should declare this beforehand and be clear about submission deadlines and consequences and this will be discussed at the program level.

**KW:** "Mass" concession (100 students) happened to the same instructor in Winter Term 2 IA session/s (during neuro module) and instructor felt demoralized by this incident last academic year. Students should be aware that when you submit a concession, instructors are able to assign a make-up exercise. I understand how it seems reactionary to students (created after seeing attendance). I do agree with students that a follow-up assignment for students with concession for these sessions should have been made clear before the session.. Instructions concession exercise submission guidelines should have been then clarified for students as well. No current solution for mass concessions - discussed at a higher level.



**VP:** Unfortunate timing of certain IA's in previous years. Understand that this may be disrespectful for instructors, and students are on the other end of being surprised by reactionary assessments. Would like more communication going forward.

**PY2:** Mix of burnout from PY2 and being told that we can concession for mental health reasons, contradictory towards the no rescheduling policy. Feels like concession form is no longer a safe tool to use.

**KW:** Individual faculty members do not receive the record for students' submitted reasons for concession in the student request (for student's confidentiality and privacy) but rather what to do (e.g. if it is a mandatory session or assessment, what will be the plan for the student next) . Students have the right to ask for concession; episodes of "mass" concession (e.g. before long weekends) do raise concerns about the true nature of the concession request - but again, this is not meant to be adjudicated by individual faculty. Nevertheless, concession exercises for masses missing mandatory sessions can result in hard feelings for these students...and the students who did attend the original session if they see that there are no make up work for those who did not/were not able to . At a systems level, faculty may need to address IA scheduling prior to breaks (e.g. minimize mass concession episodes?). Consider scheduling PBA/assessments to these sessions?

**VP:** Would like clear communication going forward. Let students know if there will be any consequences to missing certain sessions. Consider moving sessions to online if faculty foresees low attendance levels?

**PY2:** A make up assignment would have been received better if this was consistent with all other IAs. Would like the option to take on the make-up assignment in order to catch up and receive feedback.

**f. PHRM 261 Asynchronous Class [PY2]**

- i. **Concern:** Concerns with having an asynchronous class for PHRM 261 with an associated quiz during reading week when no classes should be scheduled
- ii. **Possible solution:** Schedule classes and quizzes during appropriate class scheduled times only

**KW note:** Can you clarify when the deadline was to have viewed the asynchronous content and complete the quiz? Also, is this bonus course work or usual course work?

**PY2:** Content was set as To-do: Nov 13, Monday 11am, quiz was due that week Sunday Nov 19.

**KW:** Will follow up with course coordinator.

**3. Exams/Assessments**

**a. ★Exam Schedule [PY1+PY2]**

- i. **Concern:** 8am exams on Mondays have been difficult for students
  1. Students who work on weekends feel they are at a disadvantage for Monday exams
  2. Not all students can prepare ahead due to commuting or class schedules
    - a. e.g. PY2 has all-day Thursday and Friday morning IA
  3. 8am exams are difficult for students who are commuting more than 60 minutes even during non-rush hours
- ii. **Possible solution:** Exams should be moved to Wednesday afternoons [PY2]. Hold exams later in the morning (eg. 11am) [PY1] Disadvantage of Monday morning exams should be considered and addressed.

**KW note:** I'm unclear which exams you mean? For example, PY1 has no class on Monday morning, so they would not have any exams.

**AVP:** PY1s commented on 8am exams, PY2s commented on Monday 8am exams

**PY1:** All exams have been 8am except one

**KW:** Scheduling may be due to accessibility concerns. Will take back to the team.

**VP:** Would students prefer 9am?

**PY1:** For students who are commuting 1+hr, it may be beneficial to get 1 extra hour.

**PY2:** 8:30 vs 8am could make a difference and IAs are also scheduled for 8:30. Traffic concerns as well closer to 8am.

**VP:** Pushing it back to 9am could be more reasonable if moving from Monday is not reasonable

**KW:** Concerns with attending class afterwards as well after an 8am exam - will bring up



b. ★CV Quiz 2 and ECG content [PY2]

- i. **Concern:** CV quiz 2 took place before the ECG IA, but ECG content was all testable. The ECG questions on piazza were not being answered or were deflecting to the fact that it will be covered in IA.
- ii. **Possible solution:** Schedule IA session before the exam and provide practice questions with answers/clear explanations

**KW note:** Did anyone write to the module leads yet with this concern? That would be the first step before I get involved if there has been an unsatisfactory response/correction at the module-level. Keep me posted please.

**PY2:** Not aware of anyone reaching out. However it was brought up again among PY2s Nov 22nd during class feedback. PY2 representatives will contact module leads

**KW:** Note that Nov 22nd evaluation discussion most likely for instructor feedback for their promotion package (peer-review of teaching) - module concerns raised from that dialogue may not have been documented or forwarded to module leads.. Would be better to follow up with CV module leads. KW can follow up if you are unsatisfied with their response. Also, this is a "front-end issue" that should be addressed (distress induced while taking the actual exam on topics that were not taught, even if they are 'discarded' afterwards in the ACR process)

c. FDL [PY2]

- i. **Concern:** Memorizing all the dosages without relatable scenarios is inefficient for learning purposes
  1. There is absence of contextual information in FDL compared to main courses exams
- ii. **Possible solution:** Make it worth less and put less emphasis on dosages

**KW note:** Noted for next year.

Also...less on FDL will increase weight elsewhere in IA assessment - so if we preserve the # of assessments, one or a few will now be worth more.

**VP:** Clarification: PY2s would like less weight on DOSAGES, rather than the FDL quiz itself

**KW:** Will follow up with this clarification (that it was weight *within* the FDL and not *across* the FDLs overall)

d. PHRM 231 Midterm [PY2]

- i. **Concern:** No review available for this exam → do not know what they need to focus on when studying for the final (that is worth 50% of the course)
- ii. **Possible solution:** Hold midterm review before the final exam, or release practice questions with answers before the final

**KW note:** Did anyone write to the module leads yet with this concern? That would be the first step before I get involved if there has been an unsatisfactory response/correction at the course level. Keep me posted please. Also note, that exam reviews akin to what happens in Med Man course series also require coordination of multiple other teams (Assessment personnel, Senior Program Assistant personnel, GTAs, and OETLD teams) so they need to be premeditated and these folks need to be available and not supporting elsewhere in the curriculum that day. I would advise you to speak with the course coordinators directly about coordinating this.

**PY2:** Not sure if anyone has written to module leads yet.

**KW:** Need to find out more from PY2 class. As in the CV module issue, KW can follow-up if unsatisfactory response. Make a request at the course coordinator level.

**PY2:** Reps will follow up with course coordinators regarding midterm review session and discuss with VP Academic

4. Mental Health

a. ★More mental health support for students [PY2]

- i. **Proposal:** Integrate mental health support into the pharmacy program. There is a consensus among community pharmacists of being overworked and exhausted → need for resources that teaches students realistic coping skills
  1. Example: Emphasize the importance of taking short lunch breaks despite a busy schedule. There is a generational impact on unhealthy work habits such as skipping breaks
  2. Concern about the impact on mental health and stress levels for new grads



- ii. **Possible Solution:** A supportive IA or PEADs session where a counsellor comes in to talk about stress management, coping skills, how to navigate the stress of working as a pharmacist

**VP:** I thought we already had this kind of PEADs session for PY1s?

**KW note:** Lynda Eccott's wellness survey is meant to have specific recommendations for this. There may be a place for it in the Seminars in Pharmacist series as well. Students themselves are important advocates for these messages for their peers. What do clubs have in store about this topic during the year?

Jan 11 2024 PEADS for PY1 will be a mental health workshop. Any comments from PY2/PY3 students? What kind of support do students need?

## 5. Miscellaneous

### a. ★ Removal of Grade Distribution Statistics [PY3]

- i. **Concern:** Students were previously able to see the live grade distribution of exams but this function was removed. This distribution was valuable as students could gauge their performance compared to the rest of the class.

**Possible Solution:** Bring back to the full statistics for exams or bring back only the mean.

**KW note:** Can you clarify what you mean by "live grade distribution of exams"? What data do you want and in what courses? I will forward this to Assessment Team as is (Monday, Nov 20) and they may be able to help interpret the concern.

May have been removed due to concerns about grade standing being more detrimental for students rather than useful. Do we make censorship decisions on behalf of class? Would have to discuss to find if possible to show for students who want to see. Have to determine impact of seeing grade standing and require direction from students.

KW will follow up with OETLD and assessment team and module course-coordinators to ensure we have a standard set up in Canvas

**VP:** Split between students on who wants to see it vs. who does not want to see it. Would just like some clarification regarding why it was suddenly removed.

### b. Mics in PHRM 3208 [PY2]

- i. **Concern:** Mics have not been working well in this room and the instructors do not speak loud enough into it. It is very hard to hear in the back during IA cases and the sound quality is lacking.
- ii. **Possible solution:** Replace mics in PHRM 3208.

**KW note:** Will check in with OETLD team about this.

### c. More access to outlets in IA rooms/all of pharm building [PY2]

- i. **Concern:** All of our activities in our courses, especially IA, require our devices but there is a very limited number of outlets.
- ii. **Possible solution:** Have extension cords or power strips plugged into the walls.

**KW note:** Definitely frustrating! Let me check in with building ops on this

### d. More table space for IAs [PY2]

- i. **Concern:** Barely enough room to do work during group sessions in IAs b/c of the limited table space
- ii. **Possible solution:** Get larger tables or open another IA session to have fewer people per IA session

**KW note:** Let me check in with building ops on this

## FACULTY ASKS/INFO

**ASKS:** Minor Ailment Task Force curriculum mapping for pharmacists prescribing



Ali and I will be looking for students interested to review and contribute to the Task Force recommendations that will be prepared for Programs Committee to consider. This group conducted an inventory of minor ailment content (the current 21 approved indications in our province for pharmacist prescribing) and proposed ways to augment any gaps or weaknesses we have. We will be looking in particular for students who have experience working in community pharmacy. We will prepare an advert for Facebook groups etc. I would require less 90 minutes or less of time (over the holidays or first week of classes) and students could indicate they were *consultants* on the Task Force (on CV).

**INFO: From Leonie Harper, Senior Manager, Strategic Initiatives**

Hi Program Directors/Managers and Course Coordinators,

This is an email to let you know that this term's course and instructor evaluations for E2P, BPSc, Flex and Grad Programs will be launched on November 25<sup>th</sup>, and are scheduled to close on December 10<sup>th</sup>, unless we have specifically communicated about an off cycle evaluation. During that period students will be asked to evaluate every course, as well as a number of their instructors(those who have met an appropriate number of hours of teaching threshold). Students and Instructors should receive email notifications as per the tables below.

There will be student email notifications:

Date	Message
November 25 <sup>th</sup> , 2023 (Saturday)	Survey Announcement
November 28 <sup>th</sup> , 2023 (Tuesday)	Reminder #1
December 1 <sup>st</sup> , 2023 (Friday)	Reminder #2
December 4 <sup>th</sup> , 2023 (Monday)	Reminder #3
December 7 <sup>th</sup> , 2023 (Thursday)	Reminder #4
December 10 <sup>th</sup> , 2023 (Sunday)	Last Chance Message

**Meeting Adjourned: 12:58 PM**

**Moved: Sarah; Seconded: Mina**