Overview of the Society
Phi Lambda Sigma (PLS) Epsilon Nu Chapter was officially chartered at UBC on July 6th, 2020, making it the first PLS Chapter in Canada. PLS is the Leadership Honour Society in Pharmacy and has chapters at almost every (133 out of 142) pharmacy school across the United States. Our society aims to recognize the incredible work of current leaders as well as foster the development of future leaders in Pharmacy. At PLS, we understand that success in pharmacy extends beyond just your GPA and we recognize that leadership is key to moving our profession forward. The Epsilon Nu Chapter of PLS is here to provide opportunities and resources for UBC pharmacy students to develop the skills necessary to become successful leaders in the field and make important contributions to the profession. Moreover, as the first International/Canadian Chapter of PLS, we hope to grow this network of pharmacy leaders and set the stage for future PLS Chapters in Canada and beyond. On February 26th, 2021, the UBC Epsilon Nu Chapter of PLS officially inducted its inaugural cohort of Student members along with some Faculty and Alumni members. This ever-expanding community of pharmacy leaders will allow members to connect with like-minded individuals to inspire innovation and spearhead change, ultimately for the advancement of pharmacy practice and healthcare overall.
Phi Lambda Sigma seeks to advance pharmacy practice through fostering the development of future leaders in Pharmacy.
Phi Lambda Sigma aims to:
- Recognize and promote sustained leadership commitment
- Provide opportunities for leadership development
- Connect leaders from across the pharmacy profession
Highlights or Club Initiatives
Here are some of our events and initiatives…but we’re just getting started.
- Phi Lambda Sigma Student Leadership Spotlights (sponsored by the BCPhA)
- Seminars and Workshops:
- Leadership Styles Workshop: Emotional Intelligence with Special Guest, Dr. Zubin Austin from the Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy at the University of Toronto
- Chapter Level Award opportunities
We are working to bring you:
- Seminars and Workshops to help build your leadership skills
- Opportunities for networking with students and PLS members from pharmacy schools across Canada and the United States
- A Canadian PLS Leadership Conference
- A Mentorship Program
- Fundraisers, e.g. Business Card Sales, to support student-led initiatives
- And much more!
Benefits of Being a Member
Membership in Phi Lambda Sigma provides you with opportunities to:
- Develop your leadership skills
- Network with other pharmacy leaders (Students, Alumni, Faculty members)
- Receive support for creating and developing your own initiatives
- Be recognized for your hard work and contributions to the profession and the pharmacy community
PLS membership is life-long and gives you access to member-specific events and programs offered by both the UBC Epsilon Chapter as well as PLS National in the States. PLS members are also eligible to receive a number of chapter level and national level awards as well as take on leadership roles within the Chapter.
How to Become a Member
Phi Lambda Sigma membership is by application following peer nomination or self-nomination. Nominations for UBC PLS membership may come from current student, faculty, or alumni members. All nominees must:
- Demonstrate moral and ethical character Have completed at least one professional year of the UBC Doctor of Pharmacy Program
- Be in good academic standing (cumulative GPA of 70% or higher)
- Possess a high degree of professionalism upon entrance to the Society, as well as the capability to maintain this professionalism throughout their membership in the Society
- Be an active member, as defined by individual organization requirements, of at least one professional pharmacy organization, including but not limited to the:
- Canadian Pharmacists Association (CPhA)
- BC Pharmacy Association (BCPhA)
- Canadian Association of Pharmacy Students and Interns (CAPSI)
- Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists (CSHP)
- Have submitted their application (CV and written response) by the determined deadline
Applications will be reviewed based on the Membership Eligibility and Leadership Evaluation Rubric as a means to objectively assess each candidate. Only current PLS student members are eligible to vote for candidates to be accepted into the society. No more than 10% of each original class cohort (i.e. 23 students per class of 224) will be inducted into the society during the three-year period (years 2 through 4 of the program). Selected students will be formally inducted into the society at the annual induction ceremony.
PLS membership requires a one-time fee of $120 CAD, which will go towards your registration with the National Office (based in the U.S.) as a life-long member, a membership certificate and engraved key pin, and an invitation to the induction ceremony.
For more information about PLS and to stay up to date on our next membership application period and upcoming events, please like and follow us on Facebook and Instagram:
U.S. National Phi Lambda Sigma website: https://www.philambdasigma.org/
If you have any questions or would like to connect with us, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Will be sent later on 🙂